We’re a complex generation with some significant strengths and weaknesses. There are also people in our country, in your town, hey, maybe even in your street, going hungry today. It is heart-breaking and frustrating in equal measure.
More than 8 million people in Britain live in households that struggle to put enough food on the table, with over half regularly going a whole day without eating, according to the analysis of UN data by the Food Foundation thinktank.
Really, just stop and think about that for a moment.
Lib Dem leader Tim Farron said that for such a rich country to have so many people dying of hunger is ‘a national scandal’
The UK is one of the richest countries in the world. And yet tonight, thousands of people will go to bed hungry. It may be your child’s schoolmate who is undernourished and has difficulty learning on an empty stomach. Or it could be a co-worker, a working mother whose low-wage job doesn’t make ends meet. Perhaps it’s an elderly neighbor who has to make a decision whether to delay filling a prescription or buying groceries.
The faces of hunger are as broad as the faces of the UK
Figures from the Office of National Statistics show that 391 people died from malnutrition in 2015 – a leap of 27% compared with nine years earlier which highlights the poverty facing families in 21st Century ‘Breadline Britain’.
While it is “always right” to help those that are seeking it, despite there being “many excuses”, perhaps the most frequently noted problem is the simple lack of time we have as a society to donate in service. Most thirtysomethings are busy people—we want to do it all, so we take on demanding careers, hobbies, social activities and diversions of all sorts. When all is said and done, we have very little time to spare, so while many Christians feel the call to serve, they are at a loss for how to fit this into their hyper-schedules.
Here are 19 quotes that discuss how Christians should treat the poor and those in need of help.
- “The world’s hunger is getting ridiculous, There is more fruit in rich man’s shampoo than in a poor man’s plate.” ’- Unknown
- “Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed.” ’- Proverbs 19:17 ESV
- We need to stop the dying and start the living; stop the hunger and start the hoping.” ’- Unknown Penelope Cruz
- Feel what it’s like to truly starve, and I guarantee that you’ll forever think twice before wasting food.” ’- Criss Jami
- There are genuinely sufficient resources in the world to ensure that no one, nowhere, at no time, should go hungry.” ’- Ed Asner
- “If you can’t feed a hundred people, then feed just one.” Mother Teresa
- “There’s enough on this planet for everyone’s needs but not for everyone’s greed.”’- Unknown
- “Hunger is not a problem. It is an obscenity. How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” ’- Anne Frank
- “In this country that grows more food than any other nation on this earth, it is unthinkable that any child should go hungry.” ’- Sela Ward
- Hunger is actually the worst weapon of mass destruction. It claims millions of victims each year.”’- Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, President of Brazil
- “Find out how much God has given you and from it take what you need; the remainder is needed by others.” ’- Saint Augustine
- “If we are going to stop wars on this earth, we are going to have to make war on hunger our number one priority.” ’- David W. Brooks, member, Presidential Commission on World Hunger
- “I have repeatedly stressed that we have the knowledge to reduce hunger and poverty.”’- Gro Harlem Brundtland
- “Who we listen to determines what we hear. Where we stand determines what we see. What we do determines who we become.”’- Robert McAfee Brown, a 20th-century theologian
- When you go to the store and you happen to see a homeless man why not buy him something to eat?” ’- Unknown
- “UNICEF is helping mothers realize their dreams for the future — a future in which the basic needs for a child’s survival: food, clean water, and simple health care — are guaranteed.” ’- Jane Curtin
- “What you do next determines who we become – as individuals, as families, and as a nation.” ’- Unknown
- “This is the first generation in all of recorded history that can do something about the scourge of poverty. We have the means to do it. We can banish hunger from the face of the earth.” ’- Unknown
Godinterest designs are edgy, contemporary, and made of high-quality soft fabrics. Consider it to be evangelism on the move with each piece boldly proclaiming the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ to the world. We are confident that you will experience a comfortable fit and that the designs we create are on trend. Enjoy Godinterest clothing and accessories that are very affordable as well as being a HostRooster exclusive brand!
… we have a small favour to ask. It is our mission to resource the world with relevant, practical, timely, and helpful content focused on fashion, technology, creativity, and faith. With a small blog that started in September of 2008, we’ve grown, changed, evolved, and become the community that we are today. Support Godinterest from as little as $1 – it only takes a minute. If you can, please consider supporting us with a regular amount each month. Thank you.
8 replies on “It’s a Scandal That People Living in the Sixth Largest Economy in the World Are Going Hungry”
Best view i have ever seen !
Best view i have ever seen !
Best view i have ever seen !
Amen. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. God Bless
I do not now why people continue to write sickening stories about hunger, poverty etc.when there is an easy, practical.feasible way to eradicate GLOBAL POVERTY for good.
There is an avoidable loss that too in public funds to the tune of US $ 4 Trillion a year.I am referring to the loss owing to frauds in audited Govt.funded constructions. The problem is, this auditing is done only by Financial Accountants who do not understand the complexities of constructions.It is actually unethical as a professional is dong a job in which he/she is not competent.
Let a University start a Masters Course on Construction Auditing for construction professionals. Create a Technical Auditors Pool.Do the auditing as suggested by GOPAC in 2015.. A 25% salvage which is US $ One Trillion per year is enough to wipe out POVERTY from the face of this earth. Please listen and share with others my You Tube Clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqzbonB89c4&t=9s
Web : http://www.almameer.com
Great quotes! Each one touched my soul! I know what it is like to be hungry enough to steal food. I wish that people would give monthly to food banks, rather than giving once a year around the holidays. We need to teach philanthropy in schools. Thank you for the quotes. Regina.
the hunger is everywhere – used to be an old song that went ‘the rich get rich and the poor get poorer…’ Nothing changes
The consciousness of humanity shifts ever so slowly to the positive. It will be faster if more awaken.. Ã°Å¸Ëœâ€°